Farid sends a note of points that he regards as significant vis-a-vis an expansion of the war:
- Syria has been on the highest military alert since 24 July.
- Russia sent a message to Damascus asking the Syrian government not to use its Russian scud missile arsenal against Israel.
- Ahmadinajead of Iran threatened a response against Israel if Syria is attacked.
- The Syrian government, has announced publicly that it wishes to open a dialogue with the US.
- Syria has been under pressure from Lebanese politicians to open a Golan Heights front against Israel instead of using Hezbollah as a proxy.
- Syria refused to allow the UN envoy Terje Roed-Larsen to enter Syria.